Dinghy Hire conditions
NOTE: At this time due to Covid-19 there is a change to the hire of club boats. Booking a day's hire will block out 7 days but you can only use it on day 1. The rest of the time it is booked for is to make sure it is virus free for the next hirer. you will only be charged for 1 day hire.
To minimise risk of cross contamination the boats are numbered and the one you selected is the one you must use. Foils and sails will be in the boat for those with a cover. For the Picos the masts will be up and the foils and boom will be in the left hand garage with a number the same as the boat number. Do not muddle them up please. Code for the lock is the same as last year.
Some of the following conditions have also changed so please read them before hiring a boat.
Important Note: Picos and Fevas must not be taken out if the wind is gusting greater than F4, 16 knots. Also bear in mind that the current in the channel can be significant so if there is very little wind you could be swept along away from the club. To avoid this risk you should not use the boats when the wind strength is F2 or less. Check the wind strength on Cambermet.
To hire one of the Club boats (2000/Visions/Fevas/Picos or Topper) for the day or part thereof, please note the following:-
- You must be over 18 yrs, a Club member and competent to ensure your own safety and that of the craft. Should you be unsure as to whether or not you are competent to handle the prevailing conditions, you should NOT venture out without a safety boat or a competent adult in company.
- If you are not over 18 years (or have attained your 18th birthday but have not yet become a Club member) your parent must hire the boat and be responsible at all times both for your safety and that of the craft.
- Take a note of the boat number you are using so that when reporting any problems, the boat is easily identifiable.
- Boats are NOT be available for hire on any day when there is an organised Club Sailing Session. This includes Junior Week, On the Water, Plastic Fantastic, or training courses as they will be in use for the session.
- To hire a boat it HAS to be booked online online here, some instructions on booking are located here , if there any any issues with booking online please contact Martin Sweet, Rear Commodore Training on firstname.lastname@example.org or text him on 07462663866. boats are NOT to be taken out unless you have made a booking online.
Dinghy Hire Fees
- To encourage participation in Club Racing events boats can be used free of charge but to ensure availability a booking should be made via the normal channels subject to the same conditions as described above. Otherwise the fees for each day or part thereof are
- An invoice for the hire will be raised and kindly ask that you pay this online through Gocardless before you take the boat out
Storage & Rigging
- NOTE: WHEN RIGGING, ENSURE THAT THE DAGGERBOARD IS PROPERLY SECURED AROUND THE MAST WITH THE ATTACHED BUNGEE CORD AND THAT THE RUDDER IS SECURED WITH A CURLY CLIP (SPLIT RING) OR SNAP SHACKLE.
- THE COST OF REPLACING THESE ITEMS IS HUGE. DAGGERBOARD = £230, RUDDER ASSEMBLY = £250. FEVA RUDDER ASSEMBLY = £400. If you lose one of these items you will be expected to contribute to its replacement.
- When hiring the Visions you MUST use the grey mast float. This should be left in the boat.
- After sailing please wash the boat, undo the bung and ensure all sails etc are left where you found them. In the boat with a cover or for the Picos foils and boom in the storage shed, make sure you secure it after returning the rudder, centreboard and boom. The main sail should be furled on the mast and left on the boat.
- When not in use the boats must be put back on their trolleys to minimise damage to the hulls. Do NOT leave sitting on the ground or drag over the stones.
- Please secure the storage sheds if there are no other users in the vicinity.
- Ensure the launching trolley is left where not to cause obstruction to footpaths, or other users - please ensure you do not leave it on the Church land while on the water
- Safety is the responsibility of each member who goes out on the water and, if under-age, the responsibility of the parent. PLEASE ASK FOR ADVICE IF YOU ARE UNSURE AS TO CONDITIONS OR ABILITY.
- Although there can be little or no tidal current in the water immediately in front of the Clubhouse wall at high water, the current increases as you approach the channel and, in the channel itself can be very strong indeed.
- Club Byelaws (xii) and (xiii) refer to Safety on the water and these can be viewed at https://www.tisc.org.uk/terms-1/terms-and-conditions-1.
- The ideal crew weight range for a Feva is 100 kg to 110 kg it would therefore be inappropriate if windy to sail with a crew weight significantly less.
- When hiring any of the boats when it is windy, above F4 they CANNOT be hired. This is reduce the risk of needing assistance. Most boats can be reefed. If in doubt reef.
- If there are any bits of the boat you have hired that do not work properly, please make a note in the maintenance book inside the sail shed door.