You must have the necessary knowledge to undertake the task of Race Officer.
This is a brief summary of what is involved.
- Select a course suitable for the weather conditions and competitors. There is a sheet of predefined courses on the board. If unsure which course to set take advice from experienced sailors. There may be a need to cancel the race, if the weather is unsuitable, no wind or too much, if the RIB is unservicable or too few competitors, less than three. Instructions for this are also on the board.
- Set out the race signing on sheet, flags and horn. There is a laminated sheet that shows which flags will be required.
- Start the race by hoisting and lowering the the flags, accompanied by the appropriate sound signals, inline with the starting sequence shown on the laminated sheet.
- Check at the start if any boats are over the line and take the requisite action. Also shown on the laminated sheet.
- Take the finishing times (elapsed time) of each boat as it completes the course.
- Tidy everything away when everyone has finished.
The above visual-aid will be updated to show the connections to the start lights, but the following description describes how to use the Autohoot and the Start Lights together:
If you are interested in undertaking this role but do not have the necessary knowledge / experience, please e-mail email@example.com and request a course.